Saturday, February 25, 2012

Parent ??

I have been thinking about this alot lately so thought I would post it here.
Yes, I gave birth to a child. Am I a mother ? That sounds strange to some but I have conflicting thoughts on this. I don't have other children to parent so being a parent is somehow different for me.
I see pics of my son and find myself in awe that I actually carried him for 9 months. I look at him now and can't believe that he is a part of me. What parts of him are me and what parts of him are from his family ?
When I have a visit I sit and just stare at him because it is just amazing that I am a part of this person.
Hence the question Am I a parent ? Is the term parent only reserved for those who are raising their children ? Does mother or father fit those who gave birth but do not parent ?

No comments:

Post a Comment